Friday, January 31, 2014

Reflection of Personal Narrative (My Experience in Haiti)

Writing a paper for the first time for a college class was overall pretty easy. Haven taken two college English classes in high school, I had an idea of what it was going to be like. I think this first paper, obviously, is meant to ease us into the process. That being said, writing this paper came naturally without apprehension. The topic of the paper made it especially easy to write. Since it was from personal experience, not analyzing or comparing rhetoric, it did not require much heavy thought. Obviously it required organization of thought as it applied to the prompt but as for content and the story itself, it flowed out of me pretty well. I feel like the story I wrote was pretty good. I feel like it was in a way unique. My guess was that most people would write about seeing oppression in the world. However, I wrote about seeing privilege. I suppose those two go somewhat hand in had, but in my story I believe it was right to come at it from the privileged point of view.
For me, the most helpful thing we learned in class was probably the rhetoric appeals and the triangle of communication between writer and audience. After writing my first paper, keeping the appeals and triangle in mind, I believe I have a better understanding of rhetoric. I will say, coming into the class I had no idea what it meant but now I believe I have somewhat of a grasp on it. To me, it is the writer, myself, using different writing techniques to get a certain reaction from the audience, whether that be agreement, a certain emotion, or reflection. For me, using I had never but much thought into using the rhetoric appeals because it seemed natural. If you want someone to feel a certain way, write in the tone or use words to evoke that feeling. If you want to make someone agree with you about a trend or a specific issue, using facts and statistics and credited evidence always helps. However, now that I know they are actually tools in writing, I will be able to better use them in future writing. 
As always, I feel like I could use some work on my conclusions. In middle school and most of high school I was taught to rewrite what you've already said and restate your thesis in the conclusion. My senior year, and I'm assuming in college, the conclusion is designed for critical thinking which is definitely a big change. With the right amount of practice though I know I will become better at writing my conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment